Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Thursday, July 29, 2010

The SmartPack Model

Ok, so this post isn't exactly about shopping on a budget, but I wanted to throw it in here anyway because I believe it is necessary for all the fashion-lovers out there who like to be prepared, in, well any occassion.

This post is about packing smart, or, as I like to call it, (since I enjoy making up names for virtually everything, such as "Sundress Exhaustion"), SmartPack Model.

SmartPack Model is a model you follow to make sure when you pack to go away for a weekend or a month-long mountain climbing excursion, you are prepared.

Let's start easy: weekends away.

When packing for only two days, it's pretty unncessary to pack more than two outfits, right? WRONG.
Enter...the SmartPack Model.

The SmartPack Model states that a lady should always bring at least ONE extra outfit, in addition to the two she packs. Why this additional outfit? Two simple, but highly important reasons:

1. In case you change your mind. Sometimes we plan what we want to wear the next day and even lay it out on the bed, or in this case, in a cute Vera Bradley travel bag. Then you wake up in the morning and you are not in the "mood" to wear what you packed. You may have packed a yellow sundress, but you discover you're more in the mood to go preppy, and would prefer white capris and a Ralph Lauren polo. Yes? Our moods vary every day, and with those varying moods come changing of minds when it comes to clothes. If you're sad or it's rainy out, are you really going to want to put on a floral dress? If you're in a really good mood and woke up with a fresh complexion and bright skin, would you want to hide all of that in a black turtle neck? I think you can answer these questions on your own. So pack different options for your many differing moods.

2. In case of emergency. Yes, emergency. Shall I elaborate? I always do, anyway. Picture the scene: summer 2010. First time meeting your boyfriend's parents. You brought along the perfect (and new) lavendar eyelit dress. One strap breaks. You have no other clothes. You are, my friend, screwed. In the event of a button falling off, a rip, a tear, a hole, a stain or strap breakage, you should ALWAYS have a back-up plan. This is especially important for big events, such as weddings or maybe a dinner party with your boss where you really can't go out at the last minute and find something appropriate for the event. Always bring a little something extra: an additonal shirt or pair of pants, and even more than one pair of shoes because you never know when a flip flop will break or when you'll step in something yucky. A smart girl is always prepared.

And, moving on to more difficult packing via the SmartPack Model, long trips. A week or more falls into this category. Obviously you've mastered packing multiple outfits if you'll be away longer than a week. So how do you bring the RIGHT stuff? When packing for a big trip, it's easy to literally just throw a bunch of stuff in your suitcase, thinking you'll wear it during the trip. As I know when I packed for Israel, these results are not typical. Our Israel trip was 9 days total, but I packed enough clothes and shoes (and purses) for two weeks. I wore less than 50 percent of what I packed. The result? Sure, I was prepared, but I was lugging around heavy bags the whole time. Yucky. So pack what you NEED and what you KNOW you'll wear.
When putting items into your suitcase for a long trip, think before you throw them in there. Will I need this? Will I wear this? Sure, I'll be in Alaska but this bikini is really cute and we might have a pool at the hotel. Sound familiar? Unless you're going to a hot tub retreat, the chances of wearing a bikini while vacationing in Alaska are slim. So put back the swimsuit and fill your bag with something else.
I know from experience, it's easy to get carried away and over excited when packing for a trip. I pack everything and anything in my closet, thinking I'll wear it because I'm literally in a "packing high" or "packing daze" due to excitement from the upcoming trip. But now I have invented the SmartPack Model and unused items will no longer sit in my suitcase...unused.
So only pack what you love, and love what you pack, for the most enjoyable trip ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment