Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Monday, August 9, 2010

Sample Sales



Sample Sales
By Erica


Hello all! I’m Erica, and I’ll be guest blogging for a few different topics here on Marjie’s Shopping Diet. I’m 23, and love shopping in a range of places, reading fashion blogs, and putting together unique outfits every day! My favorite fashion season is fall, and I eagerly anticipate putting together new outfits for the forthcoming season. My very best friend, Marjie, shares my passion for all things fashion-related, and I thank her for letting me put in my two cents here! Hope you enjoy my thoughts!

Rue la sample?

I’m told this is a relatively new subject, and one very much uknown, at that. I’m going to dive into the online phenom that is the sample sale. In the real world, one is hard-pressed to get to a sample sale, unless you’re lucky enough to live in Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York City. So what’s a girl (or guy) to do who lives outside of these meccas? Three words. Online. Sample. Sale.

I’ve been a member of these sites for a few years, but there have been few times when I’ve lusted after some of the items. Point in case? Rue La La’s sale of Madison Avenue’s Chanel boutique. Chanel is out of reach of many people, but this sale puts a cobalt blue 2.55 into your hands for 50-60% off, with validity guaranteed. Not so much into Chanel? What about J Brand Jeans, or Sam Edelman shoes? J Brand Jeans’s most popular style, Love Story, would normally put a $200 hole into one’s checking account, but on Gilt’s website, they’ll become an investment for $49. Sam Edelman’s gorgeous Nellie boots with incredible studded accents on the back normally are $299…Gilt brings them to you for $99.

In addition to selling fashion at a deep discount, many of these online sample sale websites includes major discounts on hotel stays--- What’s currently on Gilt’s website? Reduced rates (and these are much lower than anything Expedia has) on The Greenbrier in West Virginia, Namale Resort in Fiji, and The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida. The blackout dates are few and far between, and there are varying styles of rooms and/or capacities.

Most of these websites just require that you sign up with an email and encourage you to invite others as well, but there are a few that require an invitation, such as Rue La La. Scour your online friends list and you’ll be able to find someone that’s connected. When you first sign up, there may not be anything that catches your fancy right away, but let the sales come to you. My most recent purchase, along with Marjie? Red Tartan plaid Sperry Top-Sider boat shoes, originally $89, purchased for $29, from Gilt.

So good luck, and happy bargain shopping!

Sources:

http://www.gilt.com

http://www.hautelook.com

http://www.ruelala.com


Sam Edelman Nellie boots for $99. (Originally $299)

No comments:

Post a Comment