Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Thursday, March 18, 2010

Customizing your Shopping Diet




Customizing your diet

Just like a food-related diet, everyone's is different. For some people Weight Watchers and counting points works wonders when it comes to losing weight. Some people find eating smaller portions and exercising regularly help trim off the pounds. Whether you diet on the South Beach or Atkins, you chose your diet because it works, or you hope it does, anyway, for you. Everybody has different needs when it comes to food. Some people can survive off of salads and diet coke and some need chocolate every once in a while. People lose weight and become fit at different rates and in different ways. You have to choose what works for you.

And now, enter The Shopping Diet, and how to customize it for YOU.

I always talk about how The Shopping Diet is making smart choices according to YOUR own personal preferences. So what exactly do I mean by this?

Why do we have to customize The Shopping Diet for ourselves?
It's simple, really. Just like with diet and exercise, people have different incomes, different styles and different ideas when it comes to shopping. Not everybody has the same taste, or makes the same amount of money, or even likes the same stores. You have to customize your diet so it's the most beneficial for...yes, YOU!

There are a few things you have to do when setting yourself up on The Shopping Diet.
First, and foremost, address your spending limits. For example, mine usually are in the range of: not spending more than $30 on a pair of shoes, no more than $20 on a shirt, no more than $10 on a bag, etc. Then there are exceptions to the rule. I will spend a little more on items I need for certain things, such as work, or a wedding, or items I feel are very beneficial and needed for my wardrobe, such as a black skirt I can wear almost every day, or earrings that go with everything. Those purchases have to be justified, of course. (You can read about rationalizing and justifying purchases in another one of my posts)

Second, you address where you shop. Obviously, because of my aforementioned price range, I don't shop on Rodeo Drive, or even at Calvin Klein, Bebe, or any other store where the cheapest item is a pair of socks for $20. (Abercrombie, anyone?)
I shop at places I can afford a wide variety of things, like Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, Gap, Old Navy, Wet Seal, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, JC Penney, etc. And where I shop doesn't just have to have affordable items, it has to have items I love, want, need, etc. Items I will buy, wear and love for years, or OK, months to come.
So while you don't actually have to make a list of stores or online sites you are limiting yourself to, you should know which stores, or be willing to learn, which stores are within your price range. So when you go into Tiffany's this weekend, you'll know it's only for browsing!

And third, you must address what you need, want and wear. Need: slacks for work. A dress for the dinner party. Shoes to go with the dress. Separate shoes to go with the slacks. Your constant "needs" help define your personal Shopping Diet. Want: red sunglasses, a purple hobo, a green shirtdress. The items you want also help you customize your diet to fit your needs. Why? These are things you take into consideration when you shop. And lastly, wear: skirts to work or class, chunky jewelry on the weekend, flip flops every day in the summer. Yup, you guessed it. What you wear plays a big part in making your Shopping Diet all about you.
But why? WHY?
Because everybody needs, wants and wears different things. For example, if you wear mostly plaid, you may be more apt to shop at L.L. Bean or Bass, or another preppy store. If you wear mostly black, well, you could probably shop anywhere. Or if you wear, want, crave and love everything floral, that also defines where you will find your clothes.

And most of all, when it comes to Shopping Diet customization, consider your feelings. Feelings, really? Yes, feelings. Only you know what your price range is. Only you know if it's worth it to splurge on a pair of snakskin pumps. Only you know if you'll really, truly, wear that button down shirt to work like you say you will.

So know your feelings, but with your feelings you should know your price limits, where you shop, and what you want, need and wear. Good luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. i was just at Bass today and I thought of you! I got a navy blue and white striped hoodie, and black patent ballet flats.



    super win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, i wish i could just browse @ Tiffy's.

    ReplyDelete