Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Friday, February 26, 2010

Capturing the perfect clutch


Let's face it, if you're on The Shopping Diet or shouldn't ever spend more than $20 or $30 TOPS on a clutch unless, of course, it's gorgeous and made by a top designer that was originally $1,300 and is down to $45. But seriously, a woman's clutches should be many, not pricey.

If you want a lot of different clutches, and you should, because your events vary, you shouldn't be spending a lot of money on them.

Here are some tips to help you find what you're looking for:

1. Closure. Some clutches close by zipper, some by snap and some by magnet. Consider your contents and what your contents will be when using that particular clutch. If you're shopping for a clutch to bring to a wedding, will you be bringing a camera? Lipstick? A driver's license to secure your spot at the open bar? If you'll be bringing things that you don't want to fall out and get lost, opt for a zipper closure.

2. Material. While it may be obvious to some that you really shouldn't bring a patent plastic pleather clutch to a formal event, some may not know the material rules, literally. Formal events, like weddings, call for clutches of dressy material. Basically anything other than that plasticy-pleathery shiny crap. So maybe satin-like material, or lace-like. On the other hand, if you're going to a sports bar and the dressiest thing you'll be wearing that night are your plasticy, pleathery high heels and a sports jersey, that plasticy clutch might be OK.

3. Color. This one is tricky, and I know from experience. I have many different clutches in many different colors. Part of that is because I LOVE brightly-colored accessories, and as much as it makes sense to buy a black clutch to go with every outfit, I have a hard time settling on that color when there are so many other options. My clutches range from a magenta with a bow, to a plasticy red to a straw-like one with metallic lining to a purple snakeskin-like one with a snap closure. Because of my wide selection of colors, I find it hard to match my clutches with outfits. Now of course solid shirts and dresses would go nicely with a colored clutch, but since I like colors (and patterns) so much, solid colors in my closet are a rarity. So my advice is to have at least one clutch that will go with everything. And that would usually be a black one. To be safe, I'd go with one made out of satin-like material so it can be dressed up or down. It can go with jeans and a nice peasant blouse and also with a formal dress.
That clutch you choose to buy to go with everything - let's call it a safety clutch, ha ha - should also be reliable and sturdy. If it's got to go with everything, it has to be durable. It can't be flimsy and it can't be too small. After all, if it's purchased for any occasion, wouldn't one of those occasions involve a camera? A wedding, birthday party, or night out with the girls. So it's gotta be able to fit your camera. And in my opinion, since it has to last a while and keep your contents safe, I would go with a zipper closure.
And since your safety clutch is supposed to be there whenever you may need it, should hold all your contents and be able to go with you to any event, I give you my own personal permission to spend a little more than you normally would on a clutch. It's worth the few extra bucks if it's a safety clutch, right?
So, per The Shopping Diet, do your research, look around, and find that perfect safety clutch. Make sure you love it because I guarantee it will love you.

1 comment: