Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rules for online shopping


Online shopping has its ups and downs.
One reason I like it so much is because you have infinite options at your fingertips. You have choices. You could be surfing your way through 20 different shopping sites at one time. You can make informed decisions this way.
However, when online shopping, you don't always know if the clothes are going to turn out how you imagine them. That's why I've created this, hopefully helpful, post, so you don't ever have to return another item bought online again.

Material:
Read the material carefully. Look for warning signs that the shirt or dress might not look as good as you imagine it to. Some of those material warning signs are shirts or dresses made completely or partially out of chiffon (see-through fabric), rayon (sheer and skin-hugging), and spandex. There are no surprises with items that are 100 percent cotton.
If you are as daring to order any items made with the materials I listed, go for it, just be prepared!

Button-down:
This one is always hard. Unless you're always 100 percent certain of your shirt size, button-down included, then you need not fret. For the rest of us, usually button-down shirts need to be tried on in person. It's hard to predict what will fit when the closure of your top relies solely on buttons. (not so with pull-over shirts) I'd always advise to order up when ordering a button-down online because you're less likely to run into the problem of a shirt not being able to button! What a horror!

And now, to hopefully lift your spirits a little, here are some safe bets when shopping online:

1. Banded bottoms. You really can't fail with a banded bottom. I love these type of shirts because they go with any body type, can hide tummy fat, and usually the banded bottom is easily adjustible, meaning you can wear it all the way stretched down, or push it up a little for a shorter shirt look.

2. Empire waists: Yes, yes, and yes. Everyone loves empire waists. Why? Because they're safe, especially for those self-conscious about their tummies. Empire waists bunch, or gather, right under the breasts and kind of fan out, allowing tummies and the rest of the body to be hidden under fabric.

3. Elastic waists: Just as good, if not better, than the empire. Elastic waists usually complement any body type because they hug the curves in all the right places. Elastic usually is placed around the center, enhancing women's hourglass figures. Yay for that!

We didn't talk about shoes yet. Don't worry, I'll get there.

Heels: For high heels I always advise to order one size or one half size DOWN. Why? What's worse than heels too big that keep sliding off your ankles? Not much.
Heels that are too small may seem like a pain (literally) at first, but shoes usually do stretch out over time and mold to your feet. Eventually they should fit pretty perfectly...or are perfect as heels can fit. Also, in my opinion, it's better to have heels too tight than ones that literally slide off every time you walk. Agree?

Wedges: This one is a bit tricky. I'd also generally order a size or half a size down for these because although they're wedges, they still are elevated. Just pay attention to slingbacks, or straps that go along your ankle. Can those straps be adjusted? If not, definitely order down.

Flip flops and other open, flat sandals: Order a half a size UP. Unlike heels and wedges, when your feet are in flip flops or sandals they are spread out; they are not scrunched in because no heel is present. Also, a flip flop that is too small looks really ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment