Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sleep on it

One of my favorite, and most used rules of The Shopping Diet is: sleeping on it.

What exactly does that mean? Well, I sure am glad you asked.

This works for both online shoppers and in-person shoppers.

Let's start with online:
If you're like me, you have a few favorite sites you shop at. These are ones you check regularly for new items. Some of mine are Forever21, Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal, JcPenney, Amazon, etc. At those sites I have wish lists: items I want, but haven't committed to buying yet. Often these wishlists will have upwards of 30 items each.
When I'm ready to make a purchase and am pretty confident about some of the items on my wishlist, I'll move them to my shopping bag. Keep in mind not every Web site lets you do this. Some shopping bags are deleted after you exit the site, while others remain for 30 days or more.
Once the items are in my shopping bag, I leave the site. I take one or a few days to think about the items I have decided I want. I ask myself: would I wear it? What would I wear it with?
I literally "sleep on it."
After a few days, if I still really want it, I'll buy it. If not, the item will be deleted or move back onto my wishlist.

This tip works best for impulsive shoppers: shoppers that buy without thinking. Buy allowing yourself a few days to really decide if you want something, you'll cut down tremendously on unwanted and unworn items. If you allow yourself time to think about the things you want, you are giving yourself an advantage. Your mind will be clear after a few days.

Now, for in-person shoppers, obviously online wishlists and shopping bags do not apply. When you are giving yourself time to think over your potential purchase you are leaving the store. After you've left, apply the "sleep on it" rule. How do you feel the next morning?

I have found that when I consider for a few days if I really want a certain product, I am buying half of what I normally am. And in benefit, I am gaining what I REALLY, truly want.

So do yourself a favor. Don't rush. If a certain item that you've decided you want (after a few days of thinking), is no longer available in your size or has been taken right from the rack you left it the other day, don't fret. I guarantee you'll find something else you want in the near future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment