Marjie's Shopping Diet


The Shopping Diet is my way of passing along words of advice to fellow self-proclaimed shopaholics so they can buy on a budget.
You don't have to make a fortune to buy today's latest trends and have a closet full of fun. Here I'll blog about tricks I've learned over the years that allow me to shop when I want, buy (mostly) what I want, keep my closet happy and feel good about myself, all while staying within my budget.
To me, bargain hunting is a thrilling challenge. It takes skill, drive and passion to know what you're looking for, find it, and get it for less than everyone else. I take pride in the fact that although I don't usually spend more than $20 or $30 on any one item, I'm always getting compliments on my clothes and accessories. Some of my most successful shopping experiences have resulted in a $5 pair of black patent flats that I've worn almost every day for the past two years, and a $4 black scarf that goes with anything.
I don't just tell people to buy things on sale, or only buy something when it's on sale. Part of The Shopping Diet is doing research so you get the best possible deal on something you really want/need. It's about weighing your options and making good choices.
For me fashion is all about how YOU want to look and feel. Wear what you want and you'll always look good.









Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Types of shoppers





When you're shopping, what are you thinking about? Do you have a mission?

There are a few different types of shoppers, and it's possible for everyone to be any of these types at different times.

Type 1: Shopping with a mission. This means you go into the mall or a particular store knowing exactly what you're looking for: a knee-length black dress with flutter sleeves. A brown strappy wedge to go with the dress you bought last week. A pin-striped button down for your meeting at work next week. A pair of black patent slingbacks because, everyone needs a pair. If you've found what you were looking for, do you buy it? If not, do you leave with something else that you really didn't need?

Type 2: I shop to feel better about myself. Yes, we're ALL guilty of this one. Just like eating a pint of Breyer's or downing a bottle of Pino all by your lonesome, shopping sometimes can make us feel better; it can lift our spirits after a stressful day or give us hope after a breakup.

Type 3: I'm in the mood for new clothes. This is perfectly natural, right? Spring is a few weeks away and your closet is full of grey turtle neck sweaters. You need a few new items for the upcoming season. Maybe a few floral prints, some open-toe sandals and of course, a new hobo to tote your new sunglasses. Any avid shopper knows you can't go into each season unprepared. So you need a wardrobe update? That's cool with me!

Type 4: The "window" shopper. Unlike actually window-shopping, when you browse just to browse, you end up leaving the store with a few too many bags. This type of shopper says they're going to "just look around" but they end up buying half the store. In my opinion, this type of shopper is smart enough to know he or she isn't just going to "look around"; they know they are going to buy things.

Those are the four main types I can think of off the bat. There are plenty more.
No matter what type of shopper you are, though, there is a Shopping Diet to fit your needs. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment